Week 8 reflection

Week 8 reflection

 

This reflection has taken a bit longer than others and honestly I have learned so much more and can write about it than if I were to have just gotten it done because.

I have been working on the paper the last few weeks trying to understand each section and exactly what they are asking for. I do feel that there is some redundancy but after looking at many other papers including those in my literature review I have decided that is just how it is and I am not doing it completely wrong.  I think I have the Method section under control finally I am also understanding how to analyze data which a weakness I will admit to. I can see obvious trends but not much beyond that. I have employed my principal and tech person as my data assistance. I find trends and they either agree or disagree and then we discuss. This has helped me stay focused on the point of the data and not bringing what I think or feel into it. That is where I go wrong. I get off the topic and stray from the facts that are in front of me.

            The entire process finally came clear as I was writing my discussion section of my paper. I was happy to have been able to do parts of this paper along the way with the guidance of the class as well as my peers on site. I waited to post any comments on others papers until I had a better grasp on the parts of the paper. I cannot leave quality feedback if I don’t understand what each section of the paper is about.

            I looked at 4 different papers. One was Tracie and Barbra’s. I had looked at this paper during the review process. When I read the post for week eight I only had a questions about the percentages they documented in the analysis section. I understood that when you give a percentage for data that you give the exact percent not “about or around”. I was not sure if I missed and instruction to make our percentages round numbers when recording the data in the analysis section.

I also saw Barbra’s post offering to help with papers I left a message that I may take her up on that. I hope she is still willing.

            I also read Michelle’s paper. I suggested that she move her questions in the Method section to the appendix. I also suggested that some of the questions used in the beginning of the methods section could be left out. As I read that section I was confused as to what her focus really was.

            Hallie and I collaborated on Skype about our papers I have read hers several times. Recently it has been more for my benefit as she has already submitted hers but after looking at it I think she has a pretty good idea of what she is doing. She has been a big help this semester.

            The 4th paper I read was Carrollea’s. I didn’t find much to help with there either. She had a good product and I liked her visual data in the paper as well as her presentation.

My goal is to continue to implement my listening strategies and take the listening skills a bit farther to speaking skills. That was my original goal but in three weeks my students were only getting warmed up to the listening strategies. I would like to start having the students create the listening activities on Voki.

I also hope to keep up with the PLN that has been started. There are some great minds in this class and their ideas and applications for teaching have been great.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s